Gillings & Co Chartered Certified Accountants
Gillings & CoChartered Certified Accountants

Marriage Allowance (Transferable married couples allowance)

The Marriage Allowance (previously referred to as the Transferable Allowances for Married Couples and Civil Partners) was introduced on 6 April 2015.

From 6 April 2015 a spouse or civil partner who is not liable to income tax above the basic rate may transfer £1,060 of their unused personal allowance to their spouse/civil partner, provided that the recipient of the transfer is not liable to income tax above the basic

Taxpayers have 4 years in which to make the election.

The Marriage Allowance may be claimed if all the following apply:

  • you are married or in a civil partnership
  • you have an annual income of less than £10,600, including pensions, savings and investments
  • your spouse or civil partner has an annual income of between £10,601 and £42,385
  • you were both born on or after 6 April 1935

Taxpayers have to use online registration in order to register an interest with HMRC ( . To do this you need:

  • access to the internet and
  • an email account.

Hundreds of thousands of couples could miss out on a new tax break for married couples because it is only being made available to those who apply for it online.The Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) has already expressed its concernthat requiring couples to register and apply for the relief online could exclude a substantial minority of eligible taxpayers who do not use a computer or the internet.

PAYE tax codes
Codes will be adjusted as follows:
M for the spouse receiving the allowance.
N for the spouse transfering the allowance.

Check back here regularly to find out what's going on at Gillings & Co.



07753 611095


Gillings & Co

Sophia House
28 Cathedral Road  


CF11 9LJ

Making an appointment

Please call, email or write to us using the above contact information.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Gillings & Co